Caching problem in IE with Ajax : A Solution

Hello All,

Problem Definition:
I made my first browser based chat messenger way back in January this year, and I tried making a improved version of it yesterday again. But unfortunately Microsoft continues to give 1000 reasons for a web developer to suicide. They continue to serve the same old buggy browser way back in 2000 and even now.

The problem I was facing with IE7 (I haven’t tested on IE6), while trying to make a browser based chat messenger was that the chat application loads the chat messages from the server successfully only for the first time i.e. when you load the site for the first time. However, after that it continues showing the same old loaded data, even as new messages keep coming in the server. My chat application always worked fine in Firefox, Netscape, Safari and Flock. So what the hell with Internet Explorer.

The Real Problem:
I faced the same problem 6 months back and was facing it again now. Frustrating enough! As a web developer its a reason enough to die. Anyways, I finally tried analyzing the things. I went around installing Wireshark , which lets you see each and every http request made from your computer. Unfortunately, It was just not showing any ajax request being made by my site (opened on IE). What the hell? However, it showed successful ajax requests being made by my site opened on Firefox.

Enough! The problem was clear that, for some reason IE was not allowing the Ajax request being made. Then I went around installing IE Debug Bar, there in the HTTP(S) section you can see each and every single request being made by IE. I restarted IE and opened my site again. There in the HTTP(S) section, I could see ajax request being made successfully every 15 seconds as intended (a live chat application will set that to about 2 seconds). Then why the hell was wireshark not showing the same.On further investigation with DebugBar I found this was what was not allowing my site to make a successful ajax request the second time:

  • In the Headers section of HTTP(S) I could see:
    GET /ajax.php?getchatmessage=true&id=36&username=imoracle HTTP/1.1
    Accept: */*
    Accept-Language: en-in
    UA-CPU: x86
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.5
    Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Content-Type: text/html

  • In the Timing section of HTTP(S) I could see:
    Request start time: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:29:55
    All request retrieved from cache (no server request)

  • Further, in the Info & Cache section of HTTP(S) I could see:
    Content Type: text/html
    Headers size (bytes): 336
    Data size (bytes): 3
    Total size (bytes): 339
    Transferred data size (bytes): 0
    Cached data: Yes
    Cache File: C:UsersabhiAppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsTemporary Internet FilesLowContent.IE5O184DNELajax[1].htm
    Cache expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 05:30:00
    Cache last modified: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 05:30:00

Hence the conclusion was, IE do make an ajax request every 15 seconds as intended. But as it always reads the content from the the browser cache, it never gets the new messages from the server. And hence, Wireshark was unable to show any request being made from IE browser, as the request never goes out of the computer.

Solution to this disaster:
I tried looking for many solutions available over internet. A few of them asks to set some settings in your browser, which will force browser to read all the data from server directly. But for two reasons you surely won’t like to do this:

  1. You surely would like to cache your various images, css and other files for faster loading of your website.
  2. Next, You simply can’t expect your users to do the settings, just to make sure that your ajax runs on IE.

A few other sites asked to set a header information at the top of the php page. Probably something like this:

header(“Last-Modified: ” . gmdate(“D, d M Y H:i:s”) . ” GMT”);
header(“Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate”);
header(“Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0”,false);
header(“Pragma: no-cache”);

But even after setting the following header IE was not allowing the ajax requests to fetch the data from the server.

Working Solution:
Then I thought of why not make my ajax requests look unique every time it is fired. i.e. if my ajax request seems like this in the firebug:

why not make it look like this the next time:

and like this the very next time:

I tried this up and Bingo! My ajax was working just as great, as it was in any other browser.

I simply changed the url in my ajax request from: to*100000)

and yes, I have my chat messenger working great now.

Try out this solution if you are facing a similar problem with your Ajax requests. I will try to test the same in IE6 if I can find one, but I am pretty sure it will work great there too.

Feel free to post your comments and modified solutions if any.

Happy Ajaxing.