I wish I could have finished this task by 1st January, but nevertheless it’s finally done. Finally I have a new self designed wordpress theme named “Jhantu”. Also I have moved my blog from a shared hosting to my VPS due to increasing traffic.
Transition from one server to another is always painful. Here are the steps which I followed to make my server move smooth:
- I took a dump of my blog last week and started developing new theme locally on my windows system
- Yesterday before moving to VPS, I took the latest dump of wordpress blog (click export and download the xml file which guarantees for a smooth move)
- However the database restoration wasn’t smooth. I found one of my previously published blog has been imported as a draft with no content inside and all comments lost. WTF
- I had to republish it by extracting the blog content from the downloaded xml (If you are planning to move your blog, check out)
- Then I changed the DNS settings in Godaddy, so that my domain now points to my VPS (something I discussed here before)
- However it takes sometime before this new lookup (domain name => IP Address) is propagated worldwide. Infact even though you change the settings at Godaddy, you might continue seeing your old blog
- I did 3 things, so that I can atleast setup the blog. Cleared browser cache, flushed my DNS lookups (run ipconfig /flushdns on command line), went to C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts and made a new entry which reads: 18.104.22.168 abhinavsingh.com
- This last entry will force your system to lookup at 22.214.171.124 for abhinavsingh.com
I guess these steps might help you if ever you plan to take the pain of server move.
Finally a bit about plugin’s powering “Jhantu”:
- Akismet as always is guarding and saving us from spam
- WP-Toolbar , a custom made plugin for showing a toolbar for outgoing links from my blogpost
- My Adsense Manager a self written plug-in to embed adsense codes in between the blog posts. Will open source after some testing
- Show your stats , yet another custom plugin to display my weekly stats on right tabs. Data derived from wordpress stats database using a cron job.
- All in one SEO Pack, which automatically generates meta description and keyword for each blog post
- With increasing number of visitors from european and south american citizens, I decided to have a language translator. Thanks to Global Translator for providing such an excellent plugin for translation
- Google XML Sitemaps plugin for generating instant sitemaps as soon as I publish a new post
- Thanks to MCEComments which will now allow you to format your comments 🙂
- Sociable, which you will be using the most to share, print and email these posts if required. However I have customized it to also display tinyurl for the blog post and the RSS/Mail subscription links.
- Subscribe To Comments will help you to keep upto date with an ongoing discussion
- Get Recent Comments for keeping you in the know of latest discussions
- WordPress Related Posts for feeding you with something similar to your taste 😉
- WP-PageNavi for showing pagination instead of plain previous and next blog links
- WP-Cache to handle increasing traffic
- Syntax Highlighter making it easy for you to read through my code snippets
- Finally WordPress.com Stats to keep a track of incoming traffic 🙂
In future “Jhantu” will be made open source, so that you can run your blog using it. Do let me know your feedbacks about the new theme inspired from Google Code.