WordPress toolbar plugin provide a facebook, digg style toolbar for all outgoing links from your blog posts. The toolbar url defaults to
http://yourblog/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php. However with version 2.2, blog admin can customize toolbar url to
http://yourblog/wordpress-toolbar/ through the admin panel. A lot of other enhancements have been added like cross-plugin compatibility and support for WPMU hosted blogs. Check full feature list below.
Listed below is list of new features and bug fixes released with v 2.2:
- Support for customizing toolbar url through admin panel
- Support for WPMU hosted blogs
- Support for removing “Get this Plugin” widget from the toolbar through admin panel
- Security fix for possible XSS attack. Fix done by passing encoded hash string instead of plain text parameters. Also added various security checks on toolbar page to avoid possible XSS attacks.
- Bug fix where plugin didn’t work as expected because of cross plugin compatibility issues. Fix done by replacing server side toolbar logic with client side (using jquery) logic.
- Bug fix to show sociable share icons and tinyurl share link only for single posts and pages
- Bug fix for unrecognizable code in the toolbar when the encoding of hosted blog is different from utf-8. Fix done by using hosted blog settings instead of hardcoded utf-8.
Also core plugin code has been restructured (OOPS oriented now) so that maintainability and support becomes easier and quicker.
Steps to customize the default toolbar URL
Enable WordPress Toolbar v 2.2 plugin. Assuming you want to change default toolbar url from
/wordpress-toolbar, follow these steps:
- Enable apache
AllowOverride Allin your blog virtual host config file and restart apache
- Add following apache rewrite rule by editing your blog
RewriteRule ^wordpress-toolbar$ wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php RewriteRule ^wordpress-toolbar/$ wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php
- If you have blogs hosted using WPMU, add following apache rewrite rules in
RewriteRule ^wordpress-toolbar$ wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php RewriteRule ^wordpress-toolbar/$ wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php RewriteRule ^([0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wordpress-toolbar$ $1/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php RewriteRule ^([0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wordpress-toolbar/$ $1/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php
- Manually check if rewrite rules are working. Open your custom toolbar url and you should see a result similar to this http://abhinavsingh.com/blog/wordpress-toolbar
- If for some reasons you DO NOT see “Working! Though required parameters are missing.” on toolbar page, it means rewrite rules didn’t worked as expected. Before you proceed with the setup, you SHOULD fix rewrite rules
- Go to wordpress admin and click
"Wordpress Toolbar"under Settings tab
- Update your new custom toolbar url as shown:
- Clear cache and verify your toolbar
Enjoy and kindly let me know if you have issues installing plugin on your host.